Welcome to My Gas Man - The Gas Safety Certificate Network

My Gas Man is your one stop resource for all things Gas, including Gas Safety Certificates.

A Gas Safety Certificate is needed whenever a property is to be rented out. The certificate has to be renewed every year. It is a legal requirement and you can be heavily fined if you do not provide one.

If you are renting your home, you must order a gas certificate before you let your property.

By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it is your responsibility to get a Gas Safety Certificate every twelve months. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.

If you use an agent to manage your property, you need to make sure your contract clearly states in black and white whose responsibility it is to carry out maintenance on gas appliances. You must also keep copies of all the paperwork. You'll need to keep a record of the safety inspection for two years, and give a copy to all of your tenants within 28 days of the inspection. If your tenants change, the new tenants will need a copy of the Gas Safety Certificate before they move in. If your contract says the agent is responsible, then the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 are passed on to them.

What's on a Gas Safety Certificate.

As a minimum, the record of a gas safety check must contain:

A description and location of each appliance and/or flue checked.

The name, registration number and signature of the engineer who carried out the check.

The date on which the appliance and/or flue was checked.

The address of the property at which the appliance and/or flue is installed.

The name and address of the landlord (or his agent)

Any defect identified and any action required or taken to repair it.

Confirmation of the results of operational safety checks carried out on the appliances.

How to get a Gas Safety Certificate.

A Gas Safety Certificate can only be produced by a qualified Gas Engineer who is Gas Safe Registered.

All of our members are fully qualified and Gas Safe Registered.

Use the menu in the left hand column to select your region and find The Gas Certificate Service for your area. Simply call your local Gas Safe Man to discuss the cost and make an appointment for the him to call and undertake the testing.

The Gas Safety Certificate will be produced on site subject to the appliances passing the safety check.

If you don’t get a Gas Safety Certificate when you need one, you can be fined.

The law states that a new certificate should be produced at the start of a new tenancy and every 12 months thereafter.


As a landlord you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. Your legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation occupied under a lease or licence, including (but not limited to):

Residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, co-operatives, hostels.

Rooms, let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels.

Rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 outline the duties of landlords to ensure gas appliances, fittings and chimneys/flues provided for tenants are safe.

Your responsibilities

If you let a property which has gas appliances, you have three main responsibilities:

  1. Maintenance: pipework, appliances and chimney/flues need to be maintained safely. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available, you should ask yout local 'My Gas Man Member' to service them annually.
  2. Gas safety checks: An annual gas safety check should be carried out on each gas appliance/flue. This will ensure gas appliances and fittings are safe to use. There is a legal requirement on you to have all gas appliances safety checked by a registered engineer annually and you also need to maintain gas pipework and flues in a safe condition. This is UK law.
  3. Record: A record of the annual gas safety check (a Gas Safety Certificate) should be provided to your existing tenants within 28 days of completion, or to new tenants upon the start of the tenancy. If the rental period is less than 28 days at a time you may display a copy of the record in a prominent position within the dwelling. You need to keep copies of the record for at least 2 years.

Additional info: If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, you are responsible only for the maintenance of the gas pipework to the appliance – You are not responsible for the appliance itself. It is also a good idea to ensure that your tenants know where/how to turn the gas off and what to do in the event of a gas emergency. Last, but certainly not least, make sure anyone carrying out gas work on your property is Gas Safe registered – this is not only the law, but the most important step to ensuring the safety of your tenants. All members of 'My Gas Man' are Gas Safe Registered.

Problem Tennancies

Some landlord/tenant relationships can be problematic and tenants may refuse to give access to the property.

In order to avoid this, you should have an agreement drawn up with the tenant, before the tenancy begins, allowing you access to the property to ensure any maintenance or safety work can be carried out. You have to take 'all reasonable steps’ to ensure the work is carried out – this can involve giving a tenant notice. If a tenant does refuse access, be sure to keep a record of any action taken as you may need this at a later date. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations do not give powers to ‘force disconnection’ of the gas supply in these circumstances and you may need to seek legal advice.

joomla menu problem
Go to top
My Gas Man - copyright 2017 - driven by theepcman.co.uk